The holidays are a special time to celebrate those who are near and dear to you. From hosting family game night to decorating Christmas cookies, and, of course, unwrapping the presents left under the Christmas tree. But for those loved ones who live out of state or far from home, the holiday season can be a little less magical when you have to spend it away from those you love the most. That’s why it’s so important to still make an effort to make Christmas special, no matter how many miles separate you!
Since you’ll likely have to ship the presents you buy for your loved ones that are out of state, you may need to get a little creative. Luckily, we’ve created a list of unique gift ideas especially for your family and friends who are far away.
Bring Christmas to them with holiday decor
One of the most special parts about the holiday season is the lighting, festive colors, and overall decor. If you want to make the holidays extra meaningful for your family and friends across state lines, you can bring Christmas to them by sending them some holiday decor! Here are a few ideas to get you inspired.
* Many popular flower delivery companies sell miniature Christmas trees that you can send to help your long-distance loved ones deck the halls.
* Send a set of ornaments and a stocking to remind them of home during the holidays.
* Here’s a fun DIY project: curate a holiday hot chocolate set for them complete with a holiday mug and hot chocolate accessories.
Turn one gift into many with subscription boxes
Subscription boxes are a great way to go if you want to up the ante with your gifts this season. The best part is that there’s a subscription box for just about every interest, passion, want, or need. Whether the recipient is into cooking, self care, or sports, chances are there’s a gift box for that. Here are a few of our favorites to add to your list:
* For the busy bee who has it all, except the time to cook: A meal subscription box would make dinners easier and more delicious than ever. Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, and Home Chef are a few great options.
* For the gal who deserves a little self care: Order a self care subscription box to deliver cozy essentials (candles, face masks, tea) right to their doorstep.
* For the guy or gal that loves their craft beer: Sign them up for a monthly beer subscription box to encourage them to imbibe in their favorite beverage this holiday season.
* For the creative kids on your shopping list: Green Kids sends monthly boxes filled with crafts and lessons about fascinating environmental topics.
A gift card to their favorite restaurant
If you want to make sure your loved ones have a stress-free and enjoyable holiday season wherever they are, why not encourage them to enjoy a night off from holiday cooking by taking them out to their favorite restaurant? Simply send a restaurant gift card along with your personalized holiday wishes and they’re sure to have a happy holiday season.
Flight miles or accommodations
If it’s money that’s keeping your loved ones from traveling this holiday season, why not ease the financial burden by buying them some flight miles or offering to cover their accommodations? After all, spending time with those you love is the best Christmas gift you can give.
Something to remind them of home
Perhaps your loved ones can’t make it home for the holidays due to time constraints or some other obstacle. That doesn’t mean you can’t find them a gift that makes them feel right at home! Send them a Christmas care package filled with all of the things they love about being home for the holidays. Here are some ideas to help you fill your care package:
* Mom’s baked goodies
* A homestate candle
* Photos of their favorite holiday memories
If you weren’t sure where to start with your Christmas gifts this year, hopefully these tips helped! No matter where your loved ones are celebrating from, it’s important to make everyone feel loved during the holiday season.