If your a parent, grandparent, have watched children, you have without a doubt heard…I’m bored! Come out of a child’s mouth, there is nothing to do!, and many other ways they have said it as well. When summer comes, you will hear it a lot more from the children in your life. There are some great and frugal ways to keep them from boredom. I don’t know about your children but mine started to say it two days after school let out. Yes, it can happen that quick or even quicker! It hasn’t helped that we have had a lot of rain lately so they can’t get out to blow off some of their energy.
If your already hearing “I’m Bored!”, then your going to love these simple ways to get the kids having fun again. They will be laughing and having a great time in a matter of minutes. I usually use my stash of frugal finds that I have found while out shopping. I keep an eye out for great clearances on things that I can use to surprise the kids with, it can be anything from little dinosaurs, stickers, candy, games, crafts or other fun things that they will like. Then I use them to clear away the boredom.
It’s a great time to let the fun begin, it’s summer time and they all want to have an exciting time. Let’s not forget that first day back to school when they have to write why their summer was so much fun. Your also creating great memories with your family and their friends as well. There is no losing when you plan ahead, your house could be the house where all the kids want to be because your the fun parent! None of these ideas have to cost a lot for the kids to have a great time.
1. Egg Hunt ~ Plastic Easter Eggs do not have to be just for Easter! They make a great fun game for the kids to find any time of year. Just pull out your Easter eggs fill them with stickers, little toys, or other fun things for the kids that they are interested in. While they are complaining about being bored, fill the eggs and hide them in the house if raining or outside if it’s not raining. Then let them run all over to find them. Be sure to count them to make sure they have all been found. Then have them take their prizes and I suggest refilling the eggs right away so they are ready for the next adventure.
2. Water Noodles~ They are great for Water fun but is that the only thing they can be used for? The answer to that is no! You can use them to make a large tick tack toe game in your yard, make a obstacle course for the family to get through with noodles that they have to jump over, crawl under, or whatever type of obstacle course you would like. You can make a fort or Teepee with them as well with the Water noodles and a old sheet. Be sure to purchase them at the dollar tree for frugal fun.
3. Tent~ Use your clothes line to make a tent for the kids and bring some of their favorite toys to have in there to play with. Don’t forget a snack and drink for them so they have hours of fun with this simple but fun tent.
4. Read a book~ If you have a favorite book that took you on an amazing journey when you read it. Share it with your children and take them on the journey that you loved so much. One of my favorite book Journeys was “My Side Of the mountain”. This book is just a wonderful journey and it offers a My Side of the Mountain Trilogy (My Side of the Mountain / On the Far Side of the Mountain / Frightful’s Mountain) so that the adventure can continue into two more books. It’s always wonderful to take your children on an adventure that they can use their imagination on.
5. Solar Powered Oven are a great way to teach children how to cook outside. They can start with making cookies or something simple and move onto making something harder when they master making simple things like cookies. It’s a great way to teach them to be creative and the oven is great to use when camping as well.
6. Play Games~ Play all the games you use to play as a child. Teach your children how to play and then everyone can join in. You know the outdoor games like Red Rover, hopscotch, tag, football, soccer, and other fun games they can learn and have a great time playing. It’s a great way for them to start to laugh and have fun playing.